We are looking for great booksellers who are interested in working part-time for a growing, community-focused business. Our booksellers are friendly, enthusiastic, helpful, and (of course) omnivorous readers.
In addition to helping patrons find the book they’re looking for (whether they have a specific title in mind, or need help selecting that perfect vacation/snow day/bedtime read), booksellers are expected to:
● Assist in receiving and shelving books and merchandise, as well as maintaining the order and cleanliness of our shelves and displays
● Operate our point-of-sale system, including making sales, printing gift receipts, accepting returns, activating gift cards, and navigating our inventory database to look up books
● Giftwrap purchases upon request
● Assist in cleanup duties around the shop
● Provide staff recommendations for our displays and website
● Occasionally assist with special events, both in the store and at other locations
● Regularly read and provide short reviews of Advance Reader Copies of upcoming titles sent to us by publishers
● Manage customer relations, including filling special orders, helping patrons remember that title on the tip of their tongue, finding someone the perfect baby shower gift, and more
As with all small businesses, each of us--from the owner to the newest hire--pitches in with the nitty-gritty of cleaning the store, moving boxes of books, helping patrons wrangle strollers, and other day-to-day tasks.
Excellent written communication skills and/or experience with e-commerce are a plus.
To apply: Please complete this form.
Assistant Buyer, Children's Book Specialist
Are you passionate about children's books and independent bookstores? Join the dynamic and growing East City Bookshop in Washington D.C.’s vibrant Capitol Hill neighborhood as a part-time Assistant Buyer and Children’s Book Specialist.
We are looking for a self-motivated book lover interested in a role with room to grow and make your own.
Duties will include:
Backlist ordering and sharing of daily restock duties with the Head Buyer
Frontlist buying for all children’s books
Scheduling and staffing for in-store children’s book events
Maintaining active service role on the book floor
Comprehensive knowledge and dedication to children’s literature
Previous experience in book sales, education/library/literacy work, or other related fields
Ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Strong negotiation, organization, and team building skills
Job Type: Part-time, including some evenings and weekends, up to 30hrs per week.
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org