Hi Friends! Please note that when you order on our website your order may take up to 72 hours to be placed in the processing queue. We're working as hard as we can to reduce order processing times, but we continue to have limited staff in the store for everyone's safety. Thank you for your patience and understanding! If you have an order that you must get quickly, please call the shop between 1pm and 5pm Monday through Friday and place your order over the phone, 202.290.1636 If we have your items in stock we can get them to you faster with a phone order. **NOTE our online inventory updates once every 24 hours, so a book listed as "on our shelves now" may have been sold since the last update.**
DC has started Phase Two of reopening, but we're continuing our pre-paid front-door order pickup only at the shop. (Scroll down for details). For now, we can't offer in-store browsing or purchases at the pickup window. We'll keep you updated as we refine our plan for slowly and safely re-opening. Check back for updates.
Black Lives Matter. Black Voices Matter.
We support Black authors, illustrators, and artists. As a community bookstore we are committed to practicing antiracism through our events, collaborations, and by consciously choosing to support BIPOC artists and small businesses. We are actively working to provide resources for our community members on ways to practice antiracism, and starting in July we’ll offer virtual learning opportunities on talking to our kids and each other about race and antiracism. East City Bookshop is committed to creating a welcoming environment for all.
Front-Door Store Pickup
- Shop pickup hours are Tuesday-Friday, 11am-1pm and 5pm-7pm; Saturday and Sunday, 11am-3pm. Shop hours for phone and email orders will remain Monday-Friday, 1pm-5pm.
- Contactless pickup—your order must be pre-paid, bagged and ready for you to “grab & go.” We won’t be able to take any kind of payment at the shop.
- To facilitate contactless pickup, we've set up a scheduling system for order pickup. You'll receive information on scheduling your pickup with the email or phone call confirming that your order is ready for pickup. Please don't try to pick up your order until you receive a message from us telling you your order is ready for pickup.
- All social-distancing rules apply to pickup. You'll see arrows indicating the one-way path from the Pennsylvania Ave entrance to our 2nd doorway for pickup, and out the back of the shopping center onto D St SE. Wear a mask and stay at least 6 feet from others when picking up your order.
- As always, let us know if you have trouble physically accessing our space. We know it's a difficult space and we'll work with you to get you your order.
East City Bookshop presents: Stay-at-Home Surprise Packs
Hello friends! Do you miss our selection of journals, gifts, art supplies, toys, greeting cards and other fun items? Fear not, we’re here with ECB Stay-at-Home Surprise Packs! Here’s how it works: you select the price point and tell us a bit about the recipient, we’ll pick the perfect items, pack them up, and send your pack on its way to spread love and good vibes.
Fill out this Google Form and we’ll get started on your surprise!
Please note: given our limited staff at present, Surprise Pack orders may take a few days to ship. Because these are custom packs, individual items can’t be returned.
New Stay-at-Home Surprise Pack added: Greeting Cards!
We don't want you to be without our cards! Want to send a snail mail surprise to your friends and neighbors? Fill out this Google form to receive a fun assortment of greeting cards.
Get the inside story--read the latest issue of our store newsletter.