East City Bookshop welcomes author Laura Hankin for the launch of her new novel Happy and You Know It! Laura will be in conversation with Katharine McGee and Claire Fallon.
Tickets are available via Eventbrite here. Registration is required.
About HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT
A dark, witty page-turner about a struggling young musician who takes a job singing for a playgroup of overprivileged babies and their effortlessly cool moms, only to find herself pulled into their glamorous lives and dangerous secrets....
After her former band shot to superstardom without her, Claire reluctantly agrees to a gig as a playgroup musician for wealthy infants on New York's Park Avenue. Claire is surprised to discover that she is smitten with her new employers, a welcoming clique of wellness addicts with impossibly shiny hair, who whirl from juice cleanse to overpriced miracle vitamins to spin class with limitless energy.
There is perfect hostess Whitney who is on the brink of social-media stardom and just needs to find a way to keep her flawless life from falling apart. Caustically funny, recent stay-at-home mom Amara who is struggling to embrace her new identity. And old money, veteran mom Gwen who never misses an opportunity to dole out parenting advice. But as Claire grows closer to the stylish women who pay her bills, she uncovers secrets and betrayals that no amount of activated charcoal can fix.
Filled with humor and shocking twists, Happy and You Know It is a brilliant take on motherhood – exposing it as yet another way for society to pass judgment on women – while also exploring the baffling magnetism of curated social-media lives that are designed to make us feel unworthy. But, ultimately, this dazzling novel celebrates the unlikely bonds that form, and the power that can be unlocked, when a group of very different women is thrown together when each is at her most vulnerable.
Praise for HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT
- Selected to be one of five Book of the Month picks for May 2020
- A May 2020 Library Reads selection
- Included in Newsweek’s list of “must-read books to savor this spring”
- Betches.com calls it “Mean Girls meets The Nanny Diaries”
- “With a devilish sense of humor, Hankin crushes the perception that anyone’s life is perfect, despite how it may appear… A slow build to hidden motives and a clever sense of humor make this a fast read, but it’s Claire’s thoughtful look at our expectations of women and mothers that give the novel its depth.”—Booklist
- “Hankin (The Summertime Girls) throws many a twist into her novel about the good, the bad, and the downright ugly sides of motherhood. Readers will enjoy seeing what tricks these moms use to keep up appearances and more. With deeply drawn and relatable characters, this is an excellent read for those wanting to escape into a world of how the other half lives.” —Library Journal
- “Hankin manages to make overused subject matter feel fresh and vibrant. What starts out as a satire of privileged parenting quickly becomes something else entirely—a domestic thriller with twists and turns that are entirely unexpected and incredibly fun. A dramatic and immensely entertaining page-turner about secrets, lies, and mom culture.”—Kirkus Reviews
- “…a delightful little mystery about Park Avenue mommies. … Hankin keeps the story light, with a few laughs, some heartfelt empathy, and a touch of Schadenfreude.” —BookTrib
- “Happy and You Know It is an engrossing and compelling story of the lengths women will go to convince the world—and themselves—that they’re as happy and successful as society expects them to be. It’s what would happen if the women from The Nanny Diaries met the women from Sex and the City in the social media age. I devoured it in less than 48 hours.”—Jill Santopolo, New York Times bestselling author of the Reese Witherspoon Book Club Pick The Light We Lost
- “Laura Hankin balances a sharp eye for the mad dynamics of a high-stakes playgroup with warm understanding of the occasional desperation of new motherhood. This book is bracing, fresh, and hilarious, like sticking your head in a freezer on a hot day.” —Judy Blundell, bestselling author of The High Season
- “A juicy look at how the other half lives, Happy and You Know It is a page-turning treat in the tradition of The Nanny Diaries and Momzillas. This story of social-climbing and dark secrets heralds a delightful new voice in women’s fiction.” —Jamie Brenner, bestselling author of The Forever Summer
- “The perfect mix of frothy fun, twisty mystery and social satire, Happy and You Know It is a guilty pleasure of a book that is impossible to put down. Laura Hankin creates complex characters with lives that, like their Instagram feeds, are never as they seem. This is the summer read for book clubs, beachgoers and playgroup moms everywhere.”—Kristy Woodson Harvey, bestselling author of Slightly South of Simple
- “Combines wry humor and sharp social commentary with an utterly addictive plot. It’s nonstop fun, and I couldn’t put it down.”—Katharine McGee, New York Times bestselling author of American Royals