Talking to your kids and teens about literally anything can be awkward. Luckily, teaching your kids and teens about antiracism doesn't have to be any more awkward than other conversations.
East City Bookshop is excited to partner with Keiana Mayfield, MSW to offer Raising Antiracist Kids, an interactive online workshop designed to help you engage in conversations about race and racism with your family. Divided into three age ranges, Raising Antiracist Kids tailors each workshop to the unique needs and concerns present during each developmental period.
Workshop Dates & Times**:
Raising Antiracist Kids (0-4 years old):
- *NEW* Thursday, January 7th at 8:00 PM - Register Here
- *NEW* Thursday, January 21st at 8:00 PM - Register Here
Raising Antiracist Kids (5-11 years old):
- *NEW* Join the pilot study to earn a $20 East City Bookshop gift code! — More information & Enrollment Here!
Raising Antiracist Kids (12+ years old):
**more dates and time TBA.
This discussion-based workshop will last approximately 90 minutes, and is intended for adults. Each workshop is limited to 7 to 10 families; multiple caregivers may participate in a household.
Because workshop enrollment is limited, a $10 registration fee is required to reserve your spot; does not include Eventbrite processing fee. Use the discount code, StarterKitBundle, to get $5 off when you purchase your workshop registration and a starter kit together!
We understand that these are difficult times for many families, and finances should not be a barrier to participating in our online workshops. Please contact Keiana directly about registration waivers and workshop enrollment.
About Keiana Mayfield
All workshops will be led by Keiana Mayfield, MSW. Keiana received her Master's in Social Work in 2015, and is currently a doctoral candidate in the Human Development and Family Studies program at Penn State University. She is an expert in the social and cultural processes that affect daily life for Black families and communities. Her research focuses on ways to help all families support child and adolescent development and well-being across contexts. She hosts the ECB Middle Reader and Tween book clubs, as well as co-hosting our W(h)ine & Angst book club for adults who love reading YA.
Check out our starter kits to continue your growth and learning after the workshop!
All of our Raising Antiracist Kids starter kits include:
- A nonfiction book to further your understanding of antiracism, along with book-specifc materials to help you get more out of your time reading.
- An age appropriate kids book with specific activities and/or discussion questions designed to facilitate conversations about race relevant to each book.
- Additional materials and prompts continue these conversation at home.
You can find out more about our starter kits here.